Module 3.1: The Employment of People with Disabilities via Business Services
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- List communication strategies necessary to build trust and credibility with employers
- Identify which businesses employ the most people
- Identify the top concerns of businesses today
- Identify the intent of each business service provided by VR Business Service teams
- Identify the biggest barrier to employment for people with disabilities
- Identify common misconceptions about the employment of people with disabilities and counter them with facts
- Locate and share notable disability awareness campaigns with employers
- Locate and share accommodation information with employers
- Locate and share financial incentive information with employers
- Recognize the salient aspects of Customized Employment
- Recognize the salient aspects of Integrated Competitive Employment
- List the components of an evidence-based counseling strategy for employment with youth with disabilities and employers.
Module 3.2 Business Services Case Study
Optional Skill Enhancement Exercises
SEE Employer Engagement
Objective of Exercise
To increase the confidence and competence of VR professionals in their work with employers by providing them opportunities to practice applying their knowledge and skills.
Participants will rate their confidence in engaging with employers before and after the exercise.
Participants will be observed for the following demonstrations of competency:
- Display of positive regard, respect, and authenticity to build rapport with the employer.
- Participant demonstrated clarity in explaining business services and their benefits to the employer.
- Demonstration of clarity in explaining the vision and mission of Pre-Employment Transition Services.
- Demonstration of ability to use open-ended questions, clarification, & summarization to help the employer identify 1) unmet business needs and 2) concerns regarding the employment of PWD, and 3) questions regarding business services and benefits.
- Display of empathy in responding to the employer's concerns and presented facts to counter misconceptions.
- Display of responsiveness by specifying what s/he would do and when to respond to the employer's request for further information.